Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blogger Challenge Day 8: A Birthday Celebration

When I was younger, our birthday celebrations consisted of having 5-10 friends over for cake and games like Pin the Tail on the Donkey while wearing dunce caps (I mean party hats). If we were really lucky, we'd have a pinata.  One time, us girls went crazy around 1978 and put balloons under our shirts (I searched for the picture but couldn't find it)

Nowadays, the parties are themed at home spending tons of money or have to be held somewhere like Chuck E. Cheese or My Girly Party.   I think if you have boys, you're going to get off a little cheaper than girls.  If you go to Chuck E. Cheese and have the "super" package, it's 16.99 per child, minimum of 4 kids.  If you go to My Girly Party, it's $250 for up to 8 girls.  Seriously, if you're spending that much money on a child under the age of 5, you need therapy.

For my granddaughter, we did the Chuck E. Cheese thing a few years ago for Bryanna's 2nd birthday (which she won't remember but I have a lot of pictures and a lot less money). For her 3rd birthday, it was more low key at a clubhouse and her 4th birthday was at a  restaurant.


My personal tips for kids birthday parties:
  • Don't spend a lot of money until after age 5. They won't remember it.
  • Pick a theme of their favorite character and go wild at the Dollar Store
  • Create gift bags for attendees by going to the Dollar Store and picking up cheap toys
  • Kids love pinatas and it wears them out
  • For kids 7-10, go old school.  Have them do a  3-legged race, potato sack race, Pin the Tail on the Donkey, etc. and have prizes for the winners. The kids will love it AND get worn out.
  • Take a lot of pictures, but remember to put names of attendees on it (tag it) whatever, asap or else you'll forget who some of those people were LOL

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree, the cheaper birthday parties can be just as fun as the extravagant ones. I've done both and the kids seem to have fun no matter what.

    ReplyDelete